Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Getting wet in the Rainforest

Lora and I are here in Australia and doing well. After spending a week in Sydney getting settled in the lab and doing a little surfing we rented a car and headed north to check out some field sites. Seems like I've been doing all of the driving. Driving on the left really is not that hard to do. Beware of the speed cameras. They are everywhere. I've already been photographed for going 70 in a 60 kph zone. Can't wait to see the price tag on that one. Lora can be very distracting to the driver.

We stopped at a nature park(zoo) where we were able to feed and pet the wallabies and kangaroos. We also took pictures of us petting the koalas. I will post some pictures as soon as I get access to o ur computer.

We also slammed the brakes on as I was driving past an outdoor garden show. Great native plants and cheap too.

The past few days we've been hanging out in the rain in Byron Bay. If you've ever seen the surfing movie, An Endless Summer, then you know how good the surfing is here. So far all I've had is rain and small to no waves.

Today we are heading up to the third field site. The rain forests have been awesome. Lora has already found some good sites to use and we've seen some interesting animals. Nothing poisonous yet luckily. In a few days we will be flying up to Cairns to visit another site and see our friend Denise who is also doing research out here in Australia.

I know that when I get pictures up this will be more interesting. Hang in there. They're coming.
Cheers,
Tim and Lora

No comments: