Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Back in Hobart for a break

We are back in Hobart, home sweet home. It has been 9 weeks since I left for the field and I was ready to be home. We have set up 3 of the 6 field sites, half way there. We are home now for about 1.5 weeks then we will head back to Brisbane to set up one more site before I fly back to California.

I put together this map of the major cities and my field site locations (red dots) to give you an idea of where we have been spending out time. I also geeked out and made this distance table for perspective.


Distance

US equivalent

Cairns to Brisbane

1712 km (1063 mi)

Portland to San Diego

Brisbane to Sydney

940 km (584 mi)

San Francisco to San Diego

Sydney to Hobart

1168 km (725 mi)

San Francisco to Salt Lake City

Hobart to Cairns

3353 km (2083 mi)

San Francisco to St. Louis


Yesterday we finalized the purchase of another car. That makes Tim and I owners of 4 cars now. Yes it may sound excessive, but think about it as 2 per hemisphere (northern and southern). We got another Subaru wagon. It's a 93' with 4wd, plus it came with roof racks and a bike rack for the hitch. So not only is it a good field vehicle, it is ready for playing as well and picking up visitors from the airport ;)


Hope to see some of you soon in California.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I know where Portland, San Fransisco and San Diego are or I totally would have been lost!!

The evolution mtgs are in christchurch this summer. Kev and I hope to make it to hobart afterwards.