Monday, February 05, 2007

Was that a girl screaming?

Well it finally happened. While working in the field with Lora I heard the most unusual sound. Let me set the scene. Lora and I were obviously in the forest. I was sitting on a stool taking notes while Lora was checking out her caterpillars. I was expecting to hear her say something like "not eaten" so I was just looking down at my notepad. All of a sudden I heard the most blood curdling scream coming from the area Lora was at. I jumped! I thought that Lora had been bitten or worse. In the 6+ years I've known Lora I've never heard her scream like a girl. I quickly asked her what was wrong. Apparently, a friendly 7ft Carpet Python decided to try and wrap itself around Lora's ankle. She was so preoccupied with her work she apparently was too busy to look down until it dawned on her that something was moving on her foot.


The good news is that it was only a python, not a deadly poisonous snake. The bad news is that it could have been. In all seriousness Lora and I have talked again about looking where you step. Luckily the deadly snakes are not quite as camouflaged as this type of snake.
Stay tuned for more interesting stories from the field. By the way, this happened about two weeks ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uhmm...I probably would have died, or at least peed myself if a snake wrapped itself unobtrusively around my ankle.

*shudder*