Monday, July 09, 2007

Just Checking In

I though I'd let everyone know what we've been up to recently. But first of all a big CONGRATULATIONS goes out to Chris and Amy on their wedding! I talked with them today and they seem really happy. Both Lora and I wished we could have been there.

Lora is still up in the Far North with her fabulous assistant, Anna. They are tackling plots and having to figure out new techniques as they go. As always once she figures it out on the first few plots it should get easier. Looks like they will be heading down to southern Queensland in about a week and a half. I plan on meeting them up there for a much needed reunion and vacation. We have plans to hire a 4wd and take it over to Fraser island for a few days.

One of many freshwater lakes on Fraser
Copyright: Alaettin KI

Fraser island is the World's largest sand island. There seems to be a lot to see and do as long as you stay out of the ocean. Seems to be a small problem with sharks. Luckily there are many lakes where one can take a dip in crystal clear water. Oh yeah. I should mention that there is also a 75 mile long ancient dune where someone may try to fly.

I've been busy with my 4 hour work week. Boy it's exhausting! No really I've been really busy recently. I finished up a semester of school work so now I'm half way to completing my Masters degree in Ed. YEA! Teaching up at the Uni has been quite an experience. It took me a little bit to get used to students actually taking notes whenever I said anything. I've received a lot of positive feedback from my students which makes me believe that I'm doing a decent job. It's been a lot of fun but quite a bit of preparation goes into each class.

I'm also still doing some work in the outdoor education setting. On Wednesday I'll be taking some students rafting. Actually, I'll just be safety kayaking but damn they pay well here with my teaching credentials. If I thought I could make a living doing it in the States I might give it a go. Working with kids in the outdoors back in North Carolina is a big reason I became a teacher.

Well that about covers it. Both Lora and I will be really happy when we finally get to see each other. I'll keep you posted. Don't forget that you can always call us or post a message.

Tim

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Jason and I went on a tour of Fraser in one of the 4x4 buses. It was really great. I hope you make it out there.

Timmaay said...

We have a 4WD hired for three days. I'll update the blog next week with pics and a trip report.