Saturday, February 24, 2007

Working 9 to 5

Well it happened. I actually have been working the past couple of weeks. Some desperate sea kayaking company decided I would be a great tour guide of the Hobart harbour and surrounding waters. The funny thing is that I've only done one sea kayaking trip before and I'm a damn yank who knows next to nothing about the history of Hobart. Luckily I'm a teacher and I know that there is this building in most cities called a library where they store information that could help me out with my little lack of history perdicament.

So for about $65 I take tourists kayaking for about a two hour tour. I was told by my boss that he may have one or two trips for me the following week. Well, he split town and gave my phone # to the other tour organizers in the area. I began receiving phone calls from companies wanting to set up trips with me...lots of them. And they always had questions for me that I tried to answer. I didn't know how many boats we have available or if we could get a sald roll instead of fish and chips for a veggie eating customer. Of course my boss wasn't answering his phone and all the other guides were out on trips. So for two weeks I pretty much worked everyday and dealt with all kinds of issues along the way.

It was fun and a great way to share my new love (and knowledge) of Hobart with tourists from around the world. I don't happen to have any pictures to show. Next time I go out I'll snap a few.

In other work, I've just returned home after working a week long grade 7 camp. This was very tiring. I'm also sick now with a small fevef and a head cold. Little Buggers! One of our friends here is the Outdoor Education Teacher for a local Christian Brother's School similar to the one I went to for high school. For the past week I've taught 150 boys how to keep their kayaks going straight in the ocean. The groups were only 12 boys each so that part was easy. The rest of the camp was crazy though. I took 35 kids bush walking...four times, played heaps of cricket, and even taught them how to play ultimate frisbee. The evenings were interesting. Trying to get 150 12 year old boys to go to bed is quite a feat. I certainly earned my pay. Which by the way I'm still not sure what I'm getting paid.


Here are a few pics from one of the bush walks. No Kevin this is not a walk taken down Bourbon St in the French Quarter. :P
As some of you know Lora is currently in the States visiting with friends and family as well as attending a conference. She's been gone for over a week and I'm tired of sharing her with you guys. I miss her. If you see her let her know for me.

Tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Timmy,
I haven't seen Lora, but hang in there, she'll be back.
xxx Shela