Friday, March 02, 2007

Another day on the river

So as some of you know I've started Grad school. I'm working on a Master's of Ed. Right now my courses are mainly distance courses which mean I have to stay motivated and diligent. So of course I was in the library yesterday( I really was) when I received a call from a friend, Swarz. He told me that a local river was running and we should go boating. This river, called North West Bay River, only runs when we are having a Souwester. The last time this happened was two years ago.
We met at the take out right on the ocean and headed up to the put-in. Above is a picture of me at the put-in weir. I hate weirs. They are man-made DEATHTRAPS. They form a perfect hydraulic that if you go in the only way out is being pulled out with a rope. Needless to say we stayed out of it.
Above is a picture of the lower bit of the river. It was very beautiful scenery and only 15 minutes away from Hobart. The run itself was only class3/4-, but fun. It was great being on the water again.

After running the lower bit I was wondering what was above so we headed up that way. We found a great class 4 non-stop rollercoaster. This is now Swarz's official put-in, as well as mine. Below is a picture right before I got in my boat. The camera got a little fogged up due to the rain/moisture.

One of the best parts of the trip was the blackberries that grew all along the side of the river near the bottom. We just paddled up and picked huge amounts. It reminded me of when Kimberly and I would go out picking for blackberry cobbler way back when we were kids.
All in all it was a great afternoon spent with two good mates, a lot of rain, and some great kayaking. I guess now it's back to the library for me.
Later!

No comments: