Saturday, May 12, 2007

24 hour Mtn Bike Race

Lora and Jackie at base camp


One of my other team members, Swarz tearing past the competition

Just a quick post to let you guys know about a mtn bike race I entered last weekend. A friend asked if I'd be part of a team of 4 for a 24 hour race. The way it works is the team with the most laps of the course in 24 hours wins. The race started at noon Saturday and ended at noon on Sunday. Each lap was a little more than 6 miles long. It took us on average 40 mins per lap due to the wet, cold conditions. After each lap I had to clean kilos of mud off of my bike. The way my team did the race was one lap per team member until late night where we switched to a 2 lap each tactic. I of course ended up getting the 2am leg so that meant I got NO sleep that night. For those that don't know we use powerful lights attached to our bikes to see by. One of my night laps happened to be my second fastest lap time for the entire race!

My buddy Luke getting psyched up to race


Me about to set out at 2am

Our team did well. We ended up getting 8th place overall out of 18 teams. Not bad for being asked to enter the race only two weeks earlier. I've included a few pictures of the event. All in all it was very hard work but was a total blast. Almost all of the other competitors were really laid back and just out there for the experience. If you haven't done one of these style races before and you are up for it then give it a go. If you're really nuts then you can be like a few guys and gals here and do it SOLO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.