Monday, May 21, 2007

Finally Kayaking again

The rains are beginning here which means so is the kayaking season. Recently after set up my 5th field site I joined Tim and our friend Nick in northern Tasmania to kayak Leven Canyon. Tim and Nick had been kayaking for 2 days already, including making the 3rd descent of Fish creek.


Tim on Fish Creek



Nick on Fish Creek


Just down stream of put in on Leven Canyon. The scenery is amazing.
This is a great run. Lots of fun rapids but the highlights are the two clean waterfalls.


Here is Tim falling of the drop before the waterfalls. You can see the impressive horizon line of the first waterfall in this picture.



Here I am on the first water fall. This one is about 20-25 ft high. I thought this one was big.
But wait until you see the next one.



Yep, that is me in that little boat. If you look closely you can see Tim standing at the top of the falls. That will give you perspective. It is about 40 ft high. This is by far the biggest waterfall I have done to date. I don't think I would want to go much higher than this.


Zoomed in


This was so much fun. I didn't look at it before I threw myself over. I just went where Tim told me to go. Since we have kayaked together so much there is a certain degree of trust, plus he knows one of my favorite things is being surprised when I run certain types of rapids. So my first view of it was right at the lip. Tim told me later that when I got to the edge I laughed and said "Oh Shit" as I fell to to the bottom. I don't remember doing this, but then again at that moment it is hard to tell whether or not you are just thinking it or saying it. It was so exhilarating. I can't wait to do it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Laura! That's bigger than I have ever run!

Lookin' good out there guys.

--
Danno